There is an article in American Baby this month that really helped me to feel better about myself. It's titled "Life is Better With a Baby." Here are some points that really hit home for me -
Your Body is Awesome: Sorry, no. By that I don't mean you're quickly sliding back into your skinny jeans. Once you have a baby, your self-worth becomes more about the size of your heart that the size of your heinie. "I was able to remind myself to be calm when I saw my reflection," says Erin Grady, mom of Teagan, 2, and expecting a second, in Park City, Utah. "It's not like my body was rockin' before pregnancy, but after a baby, there is no mercy. So I like to remember that I earned every one of those stretch marks." Taking care of yourself (hello again, treadmill) is still important, but knowing that you're caring for someone else who appreciates all of your efforts can make you more patient with the nearly-a-year-to-gain, nearly-a-year-to-lose process. You just grew a person in there!
You Know What Matters: I have to warn you - Your house may be a mess for a while. But you learn to be a little less precious about your belongings. "I'm getting rid of things so I can make room for my child's world," says Pratima Rao, mom of Thorin, 3, and expecting a second, in Portland Oregon. "High school memorabilia isn't that important to me anymore. Nor are fancy clothes, now that life is more laid-back." You may find yourself giving away quite a few items that you don't really need. Living with more love and less stuff is liberating.
You Cut Yourself Some Slack: As your child grows and continually tests you, you'll come to the freeing realization that parenting is no place for perfectionism. "There's no need to be Supermom," says Elizabeth Williams-Renkens, a mom of two in Nashville. "You worry less about achieving the ideal in anything, from the state of your house to the inside of your purse." After all, who has June Cleaver's life? Yours is pretty darned good.
I needed to read all of those! It really made me feel better. I hope it helps you, too!
Have a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment