Thursday, October 25, 2012

Why I Blog

Why do I blog?  I asked myself this question today after reading a few articles about that very topic.  I read THIS post this morning titled "Edenland: I Am Mummyblogger."  I also read THIS article titled "Mommy (and me)."   Both articles gave totally different opinions about mommy bloggers and whether or not blogging is an acceptable hobby.  I can only speak for myself.  I consider this blog to be my online journal.  My therapist is ALWAYS telling me to write down my feelings.  So far, I am terrible at doing this and the only way I release is through my blogging.  Each time I visit with my therapist, she asks "What do you have for me?  What have you written?" and I have nothing to give to her.  I try to tell her about my blog and she just doesn't understand why I keep a journal that other people can read.  Her expressions and reactions are always humorous to me.  There are many reasons why I blog.  I believe that blogging helps the person writing and has the potential of helping others.

I started this blog back in July of 2008.  My friend, Merrica, started her blog as a way for us to keep up with what was going on in her life and I loved the idea.  I was instantly hooked!  When my husband and I started talking about starting a family, I wanted to have a place where I could document my child's life and post pictures of him or her.  I became pregnant...and then miscarried at 8 weeks.  Blogging has been real therapeutic for me.  I began my blogging journey before I even began seeing a therapist.  It has helped me get through really rough times and has helped me share some really great times.

I also blog because I believe strongly that one person can make a difference in the lives of others.  I have been through much...and it is all very personal...but I feel like I could possibly help someone else.  What helps me deal with - my miscarriage, the loss of loved ones, my postpartum psychosis, and my depression is holding onto the reasoning that God gave me these crosses to bear for a reason and that reason is to touch other people's lives.  That line of belief allows me to be able to move on and allows me to be closer to God.


There are some topics that I stray away from out of respect for my husband, family, and friends.  I don't blog about the details of my marriage because I hold that as being very sacred and very personal.  I blog about my personal feelings for my husband, but the intimate details of our relationship, I keep to myself.  That is important to me and not everything needs to be shared.  Out of respect for my real life friends and family, I try to stay away from posting about their very personal lives, too.  Even though I am comfortable sharing my innermost thoughts and feelings, not everyone is and I totally accept that.  Like I said, not every little thing needs to be blogged about.  My husband would be a happy camper if I only blogged pictures and details of the day-to-day things I do with my family.  I cannot do that.  I will try not to dwell on the difficult topics - my illness - my miscarriage - but they are topics that I will continue to blog about.  They changed my life completely.  They have had lasting effects on the person I am today.  They have made me who I am today - much stronger and much more appreciate of the life I have.  I am thankful for that.

I enjoy blogging.  I enjoy sharing my thoughts and feelings with all of you.  And I am honored that you take time out of your day to see what I have to say.  It helps me more than any of you will ever know.  Thank you so very much for reading.

No comments: