Friday, June 15, 2012

Roller Coaster Ride

That is definitely how I would describe this week.

For those who know me in real life, you know that I have always wanted to be a mommy.  I started mothering my little sisters at a very young age.  I always pictured myself with three or four children.  When I used to play MASH, I always listed more than 1 child.  I always pictured my children growing up with siblings like I did.

It is hard to swallow that it is just not in the cards for my husband and I to have more than one child.

We were given a glimmer of hope from the new therapist this week that more children may be possible.  That is all I had to hear.  I took that and RAN with it.  Then, shortly after our session, I came across the blog of a mother who was a survivor of postpartum psychosis, too, and she went on to have another baby.  She had to take medication through her pregnancy, but it appears that her baby girl is the picture of health.  She did have a relapse, a psychotic episode, during her fifth week of pregnancy and had to be hospitalized, but everything worked out.  I thought - that could be me!  Looking at Landon and knowing how wonderful it is to be a mommy and how precious he is - I would do it all over again - I thought.  I was getting more and more hopeful that another child could be in our future.  Jason was, too.

A few days later, I was reading more information on the Postpartum Progress website and came across a recent post guest written by a man named Aaron.  He lost his wife to postpartum psychosis two months ago.  They have two sons and she committed suicide 4 months after her son was born.  That story shook Jason and I to the core.  It scared us to death.  There were so many similarities between me and Aaron's wife, Aimee.  Jason could totally relate to Aaron.  It was like he had written that piece himself when Aaron described Aimee as being not the same Aimee after being sick.  It made us stop and think.  I decided then that I needed to talk with my OBGYN - Dr. Freeman.  I had so many questions - Had he ever treated anyone who had survived postpartum psychosis who had gone on to have another baby?   What would the plan be for my treatment if I did become pregnant again?  Among other questions.  I knew that Jason and I weren't looking to get pregnant tomorrow, but I just wanted to gather all of the information I could.  Especially since I had scheduled a tubal ligation just weeks before for the end of July.  I wanted to make sure I had exhausted all of my resources and had all of the information available to me before I made such a permanent decision.

The meeting with Dr. Freeman was difficult.  I heard things I didn't want to hear, but that I pretty much already knew in my heart were true.  I told Dr. Freeman why I was there.  He said, "Christina, the recurrence rate is 60%-80%.  If you become pregnant again, you will likely suffer from psychosis again."  I asked him how many women he knew of that had suffered from psychosis went on to have other children.  He said, "I don't know of any.  Women who have been through what you have been through are not usually willing to go through that again.  Your condition is extremely rare.  In 26 years of practicing, you are the second person I have treated who has had postpartum psychosis.  You are the first person I have treated that did not display psychotic symptoms before pregnancy.  That is even rarer."  He offered to put me in touch with a Maternal Specialist from St. John's Hospital.  He said that they may have more experience with this, but that they are likely limited, too, by the fact that the condition is so rare.  Then he became frank with me.  He said, "Chris, we almost lost you the first time."  That sentence resonated in my ears.  I shook my head yes.  He said, "You must really want another baby."  I spoke up and told him that I was just wanting to gather all of the information I could before making a final decision about having children.   The most important thing to me is to be here for Landon.  Dr. Freeman said, "Absolutely."  I then shared some pictures of Landon with him and he asked to keep one.  I left...feeling cheated once again by psychosis. 

Even though it is "hard to swallow" that Jason and I will not have any more children, I know, over time, I will come to peace with it.  Like I told Dr. Freeman, the most important thing to me is to be here for Landon and of course Jason.  It just isn't worth the risk. 

It is really weird how you plan your life and picture how things will go and they end up turning out not like you could have imagined.  Sometimes it turns out even better.  Life with Jason, Landon, and Murphy is better than I could have ever imagined my life to turn out.  I am blessed beyond measure and am so grateful for what I have.

Thank you so very much for all of your kind words and for all of the support.  It means so much to me!  I truly appreciate it and it helps me very much.  Thank you again and have a great weekend.  More pictures of little Landon to come! :) 


4 comments:

TB said...

Grieve. Let yourself grieve. Grieve for the children you won't have. Grieve for the life that was torn apart by the psychosis. Grieve for whatever is in the way of you being happy.

I truly feel you will be at peace then. You are a strong woman. A beautiful woman. A mother woman.

Landon and Jason are so lucky to have you. I am lucky to have you. I so wish I lived closer so I could hug you and meet up for coffee/tea often.

Text me. Call me. Post. I am here. <3 T

Jessica said...

You are right, we imagine our lives one way, and then they are different. Sometimes its hard to accept. but when we finally do we see the beauty of it. I know you will get there.

Good for you for seeking out all the best information and making sure to always consider your #1 priority your husband and son.

Keeping you in my thoughts as you find peace with it!

Shirley said...

TB is right - you have to allow yourself to grieve this loss. My story is different in that I experienced infertility and had to grieve that loss. What I know years later is that God had a totally different plan for my life and I wouldn't change it at this point for anything in the world. Praying that God will reveal His plan for you in time.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry. So sorry. I knew before I my last daughter that we were done having children. If that had not been the case, the psychosis would have made my decision for me. I have had 3 children by birth and the PPD/A got worse with each birth until it finally ended in psychosis. I too have no prior history of psychosis or other mental illnesses. My OB was very firm in his suggestion that we have no more children. I know he is right. I still grieved the loss of the ability and decision to have more. It sounds crazy since we had already decided we were done having kids but it was still a loss to me.

Our first 2 children are adopted and I think we will probably pursue another adoption at some point to finish our family if we choose to have more kids. Give yourself time to grieve and adjust. You never know where your heart will lead you.

Take care and drop me a line anytime, I'd love to chat more.