Yesterday I was at the fax machine in the front of the office - waiting for my fax to go through - and a colleague walked up to use the fax machine next. I don't know her really well and she is relatively new to the Foundation (is less than 2 years in) so she wasn't really around for all that transpired after Landon was born. The receptionist, who is a friend of mine on facebook, saw the pictures of Landon's new room and was commenting on them. So we were talking about Landon and the question came up from the "new" girl..."Are you going to have any more kids?"
It is an innocent question and a common question. I almost told her the truth...that I can't have any more children...that having children makes me very ill...that it becomes a life or death situation for me...but I didn't. I just said "Nope, Landon is the only one. We aren't having any more" and I even managed to smile at her while I said this. She went on to say that her sister has only one and said that it is a lot of work (yes - this colleague doesn't have children) and it was too much work for her to have another. I agreed that it was a lot of work and then thankfully my fax went through and I was able to nicely end the conversation.
It is getting easier for me to answer these common questions. They just naturally come from people who don't know my story. And I know people are generally shocked when I say we aren't having any more children. I just kind of wish people wouldn't ask. I am grateful that I am able to handle the question better now than I would have six months ago. That is progress!
1 comment:
That had to have been hard for you, I am so sorry Tina!
Post a Comment