Friday, November 22, 2013

Halloween, Pumpkins, Potty Training, and More

Gosh, time has slipped away once again and it has been over a month since I last posted.  Now on this dreary Friday afternoon when I SHOULD be working, I am once again procrastinating.  What better time to blog than now?  Ha!

Halloween has come and gone and we had a really fun one this year.  I thought I had one more year to pick out Landon's Halloween costume so I ordered the cutest Frankenstein costume from Amazon.com.  Once it came in, I immediately had Landon try it on.  He looked adorable, but he was not feeling the costume at all.  Naively, I thought I could talk him into the costume through positive reinforcement.  Landon kept insisting that he was going to be Spiderman for Halloween.  His best buddy Brock was determined to be Spiderman as well.  I think the two boys were talking at school during the day about their Halloween costumes.  3 year old conversations - too cute!  Even his teacher at school asked him "What are you going to be for Halloween?"  and Landon's response was "Spiderman.  A Spiderman that pees in his pants!"  He thinks he is a comedian!  It seriously cracked his teacher up and it did me, too.  At the time his teachers and Jason and I were desperately trying to get him on the potty training wagon so he was being a little rebellious.  About a week before Halloween, I decided that I was not going to fight with Landon over his costume on Halloween.  The holiday is all about kids having fun and that is what I wanted for Landon.  Luckily, Facebook comes in handy for more than one thing.  I discovered not too long ago a few pages on Facebook that are centered around moms trying to buy, sell, and trade used kids items.  I posted about the costume and sold it within an hour of posting it.  With the money I made off selling that costume, I was able to buy Landon's Spiderman costume so it worked out perfectly!  I took off the day of Halloween and spend the entire day with Landon.  It was mostly a great day - except for our big fight about taking a nap that afternoon.  Ha!

This is a blury picture - but it is from my phone.  It is the only picture I can find with him in his costume.  He refused to wear his mask the day of Halloween.  Imagine that?


Halloween at my work - MFH. Landon and I made a stop in at my work for the Halloween costume contest and lunch.  Fun times!  He looks thrilled - doesn't he?
 
In the month of October we did many fun things to prepare for Halloween.  Landon went to the pumpkin patch with his friends at school and he also went with the Duepner Family.  This is the 2nd year we have taken the kids all together and they have such a good time together.  My sister-in-law, Cori, was able to snap the PERFECT picture of all of them together.  Definitely frameworthy!



This is me and Landon on the night we carved/painted our pumpkins

This is a picture Miss Stephanie took while Landon was working on a project at school recently.  Out of the blue he announced to her that "Mommy is my best friend" and she couldn't help but sent this to me while I was at work to share.  How sweet?!  Made my day.  What is funny though is if I had a dollar for EVERY time Landon tells me "You are not my best friend anymore!" because he gets mad at me, I would be rich and would be able to quit my job!  Ha!
 
I have been busy this month with trying to get ahead of the Christmas gifts and the Christmas cards.  I seriously cannot wait until the last minute or it is too overwhelming and it is just too expensive to try to do it all in one month.  Amazon has been my best friend for Landon's Christmas!  AND I am TOO excited for our Elf on the Shelf to arrive to our house next Saturday morning!  It will be our official first year that our Elf will come to stay and I think Landon is going to have a blast with it.  I am starting it off with a welcome breakfast - including an official letter from Santa Claus himself!  I will take pictures of our Elf visits and do one big post towards the end.  To prepare for our Christmas cards, we had our friend and Landon's former caretaker, Britne, come to the house and take some family photos when the leaves where all so pretty.  I really wanted Murphy to be a part of the picture like we have done so many times in the past.  He is just SO hard to manage in a studio so this worked out perfectly.  We were only able to get one shot - Murphy was SO excited and he was rolling around which was quite the site to see - but I do love it.  Landon is not smiling in the picture, but he is looking at the camera and his expression is sweet so it works.  Just like with multiple small children, it is just so difficult to get everyone looking at the camera at the same time smiling.  I don't want to show which ones will be on our Christmas cards, but I will do a tease with a few that are not on them and that I really love.  Britne did a fantastic job!  She is EXTREMELY reasonable and available so if you would like her to do your pics, contact me and I will pass along her info!






This week I have been SUPER busy going through all of Landon's toys.  Jason and I have been talking about getting rid of Landon's Elmo ball pit for some time and I just decided to post about it on Facebook this Tuesday.  Again, within the hour, it was sold and I actually do know that person that is buying it.  I am delivering it today.  The lady is a mother to three very small children and her income is very limited so I feel really great that her kids are getting it at a great price.  I have sold pretty many of his toys and all of the parents seem really happy with their purchases.  The hottest item was Landon's Little People Nativity Set.  He never plays with it and I had like 12 people interested in buying it!  It went within like 5 minutes of my posting it.  Super fast!  However, through the Facebook page I noticed the other day - I think maybe yesterday - a Grandma was interested in purchasing some diapers that someone else was selling.  She noted on the comments that she would be purchasing them for her grandson because both of his parents just lost their jobs and that any way they could save a little money would be helpful.  The diapers ended up going to someone else.  While reading that, I couldn't help but thing about the many pull-ups that I have at home - that are going to waste because Landon just won't wear them.  He either wears the diapers or he wears REAL underwear (YES - we have made MONUMENTAL progress on the potty training front folks!  He is doing AWESOME!).  I went on to think further about this little boy that is a little younger than Landon and I wondered how his parents would be able to provide for Christmas this year if they both just lost their jobs.  There were several toys I had that were really nice that would be perfect for someone his age and I also had a winter coat.  I private messaged the Grandma and offered what I had to her and her response was so humbling.  She said "God bless you" and we are meeting next week for the drop off.  There really isn't much better than making Christmas special for little ones.  It is what the season is all about.

However, I am worried that Landon thinks I am getting rid of all of his toys!  Ha!  We sold his shopping cart this week and he was very emotional about that.  He seriously hasn't played with it but maybe once this past year and it was mainly used to store toys in.  A lady was looking for one for her daughter and it just seemed perfect to sell it to her and I made it very cheap.  I explained to Landon that Santa is going to bring him lots of toys for Christmas and he needs to share his with other kids.  I think he did understand that a little bit and he was okay once we gave it away.  It is funny though because he has a few times this week grabbed toys and said - we are keeping this one!  Poor kiddo.  I hope I haven't scarred him too much.  Ha!

I don't think I will probably post again until after Thanksgiving so I will wish you all a very happy holiday now.  Enjoy the GOOD food and enjoy your families!  I am looking forward to having 4 days off from work - and Landon is really looking forward to that, too!

Much Love,

Tina
xoxo

No comments: