Friday, August 7, 2009

I Cannot Stop Myself!

Many of you already know that my full-time job really should have been being an event planner instead of an accountant. I cannot stop myself from planning events. Whether it be helping with the auction, my wedding, my high school reunion, bbqs, an anniversary party, wedding & baby showers, family get togethers...I just live for it! I might be able to add another event to that list very soon - a benefit.

Yesterday was just an ordinary day. I was on my way to work and I was thinking about my Aunt Linda. I had just talked to my friend, Chris, on the phone earlier in the week. He told me something he was planning to do for my Uncle Mark, Aunt Linda, and family. It not only touched my heart, but it also made me think "what can we do to help besides make trips to Indiana and pray?" I was also thinking about what a wonderful time I had the night before listening to my cousin, Brian, play acoustic music with his friend, Matt. Then it hit me...we could do a benefit!

We are totally in the preliminary stages of planning this benefit, which will really be a party celebrating my Aunt and her family. My first ideas include - lots of people, good music, good company, a few raffles, and beverages (alcoholic and nonalcoholic). What more do you need to have a great time?

My family is now buzzing with the idea and I am in contact with a few places to see if we can get a location for free. I have a lead...and it looks promising from what I heard today about it...so that is really exciting!

Who knows how much we will be able to raise for them, but what I do know is that any and all donations will really help them out. Aunt Linda did get confirmation from her doctors yesterday that the tumors in her brain are cancerous and it is lymphoma. She has a new type of lymphoma now and it is more aggressive and fast growing. The current plan is for her to start radiation therapy on Monday. For the time being, she cannot work. I know that they were already really struggling with bills, school costs for the girls, ordinary everyday expenses such as groceries so any money that can be raised will be put to use immediately and will make a difference.

It makes me feel much better now that I am trying to actively do something on their behalf. We have so many family members and friends here that have expressed concern and have wished that they could help out in some way. Aunt Linda has many family and lots of friends here in town (she lived in Festus for over 35 years) and I know that they would jump at the chance to help out in any way. This benefit will provide them the opportunity.

I will keep you all posted on this! Say some prayers and I hope this all comes together and that it is a HUGE success! That would be awesome!

3 comments:

TB said...

can we donate via snail mail since we can't be there? let us know :)

Anonymous said...

Tina--if you need any help, please let me know! This sounds like it will be phenomenal especially with your planning skills! Good luck and please let me know what we can do to help! Cori and Steve

Tina said...

Thanks girls + Steve! You guys are THE BEST! I will let you know what we come up with after the family meeting on Monday. I think we can get the Festus Armory for free since Dad is a retiree. It is just picking a date that works with the Armory and works with our LIVE entertainment (my cuz and his friend - they are AWESOME - but I am biased)! :)