Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bumps in the Road

Sorry it has been a few day since I have last posted. Ordinarily, I would just do a "Thankful Thursday" post. I have lots to be thankful for like usual, but I feel like a regular post after the afternoon + evening I had last night.

Yesterday started like every other day has started this week. Aunt Linda was up early yesterday though because she went to bed on Tuesday evening at 6pm! She was wore out from her treatment and fell asleep really early. Her nurses joked around with me yesterday about me being a nurse myself now since I had to learn how to operate her fluid pump that she has to bring home every night. It is important for her to flush out the chemo after her treatment every day in order to protect her bladder and her kidneys.

Anyway, like I said, yesterday started out well. Aunt Linda was very energetic - bright-eyed and bushy tailed! We dropped her off and every day the girls want to watch her walk into the building and wave bye to her. They are just so darn cute. After we dropped her off I asked them what should we do to occupy our time before school? They wanted to try to find McDonals again and this time we were successful! We had juice, apples, and a hashbrown. We had a great morning!

The "bump in the road" came when I went to pick up Aunt Linda from treatment. She was in great spirits, joking around, walking fine on her own. When we stepped outside, I was holding the door for an elderly couple, and before I knew it, Aunt Linda's foot caught and she hit the blacktop - HARD. It was a truly scary experience. She told me to go and get someone so I bolted down to where her nurses were. Everyone reacted so quickly. They had to wheel her to the ER while I went to the girls' school to pick them up. After I dropped the girls off with their cousin, I went back to the ER and she was in a triage room with her nurse and she was crying because they wanted her to stay the night. I suspected as much, but she was not a happy camper. Luckily, the head scan came back good and her numbers look great today. I felt really guilty about the fall at first, but I do know that there was really nothing I could have done to prevent it. My heart just broke for her. It seems like she cannot catch a break!

It is hard to see her want to do so many things and not be able to and it is growing increasingly difficult for her. She cannot drive and now she likely cannot walk her kids to school next week. The dosage of chemo is just too high and her balance is off. It is just not safe.

The girls are doing pretty well. Her oldest daughter, Allison, had a difficult time last night. I think she is told often to not cry or to be strong or that she is a big girl now. I told her that it was ok to be sad and that she can cry if she wants to. She was upset for awhile, but eventually she seemed ok. It helped that it was Uncle Mark's birthday and they had lots of homemade cards + gifts to give them. That was a great way to end the day - on a positive note. I am really thankful for that!

Along with being thankful for that - I am thankful for:

My husband. He is really sweet and thoughtful. I appreciate him so much more since I have been away from him and Murphy this entire week.

I am thankful that Aunt Linda's fall was not much worse. We are lucky and blessed that there was not bleeding in her brain from the fall since she did hit her head. Any major injury or illness could stop her treatments so we are very fortunate that she walked away with only bumps, scrapes, and bruises.

I am thankful for the time I have had with the Bartoo Family this week.

No comments: