I think God has great plans for each of us. I find myself day dreaming all of the time about the future. I have big dreams. Do you?
Last Sunday Jason and I were having breakfast at our local diner after church. Many times when we are having breakfast on a Sunday, I notice a man that sits alone. My heart always goes out to him and I say a prayer for him. He appears to be homeless and I believe he is schizophrenic. I have had family members who have suffered from schizophrenia so I have a true soft spot for people who have to live with this disease.
This past Sunday he came in and ordered a coffee. He always sits in a booth and he talks to himself the entire time. On Sunday when Jason went up to pay for our breakfast, I asked him if he would pay for that man's breakfast. I also noticed that his gloves and coat are really worn and I worried about how long he has had the same gloves and jacket. For years, Jason and I have selected charities to donate to during the holidays. We talked about picking this man to bless during the holiday season this year. I think we are going to gather items for him and leave them at the diner anonymously. I just wish we could do more.
How is someone with such a severe mental health issue ever supposed to be able to function day to day? What resources are available in my hometown to help people in his situation? If he were lucky enough to be able to find a job, he would never be able to keep it unless he is on medication to treat his schizophrenia. How can he possibly afford medical care? How is the cycle ever supposed to end for this man? It just breaks my heart.
I told Jason later that day that when I retire, I have big plans. Maybe I along with other willing people could start something in the area to help the homeless? Is that something that is too big for me to think about?
Like I said last week, 1 person can make a difference. I just pray that God shows me what he wants me to do and provides the means to do it. For now, I will just continue to think and pray for this man and I will gather gifts to bless him with this holiday season. Hopefully our gesture will brighten his days, give him hope, and he will feel that someone out there cares for him.
"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18
No comments:
Post a Comment