Guess what I had to do when I arrived home after work?
A poor obese muskrat met his demise in our new chain link fence. My heart really did break for the little, I mean rather BIG guy. He found his way into our backyard fenced in area and could not figure out how to get out. I wonder if Murphy saw him and scared him silly? He attempted to get out of the yard through the fence and the hole was MUCH smaller than he was. He became stuck like Winnie the Pooh and I believe he suffocated to death. I felt terrible for him!
Before I got home, Jason attempted to get him out of the fence with a rake and a shovel. I am not sure why he thought that would ever work. I think he was trying to do whatever humanly possible so that he didn't have to come into direct contact with this animal.
I assessed the situation after Jason showed me where the muskrat was and I knew that the only way he was coming out was going to be by removing him myself. I asked Jason if he had any gloves. At first he only found one pair and he handed them to me! He did eventually find another pair and he came out to assist me.
We were working together and I mentioned to Jason that the muskrat was still soft to the touch. Shortly after I mentioned that, he freaked out on me because he thought the muskrat was still alive! I felt for breathing and a heartbeat, but I didn't detect anything. I guess it could be possible that he just - passed out. Could imagine him coming to while I was holding him?!?! YIKES.
We finally freed the poor guy and Jason wanted me to just throw him into the woods. I wanted to be respectful to this creature who suffered a horrible death, so I placed him in the nearby woods and covered him with fall leaves.
If we go back today and see that he has disappeared...now that will be a crazy ending to this story!
I did all of this in my sweater vest. I don't think I was dressed for that part! My husband later told me that he was so surprised that I jumped in and helped him. Hello...I AM a country girl after all!
No comments:
Post a Comment