Monday, January 18, 2010

Welcome to the Future

One of my current favorite songs is Brad Paisley's "Welcome to the Future." I really love the lyrics, particularly the refrain the last verse...

He-e-ey...
Look around it's all so clear.
He-e-ey...
Wherever we would go and well we...
He-e-ey...
So many things I never thought I'd see...
Happening right in front of me.


I had a friend in school,
Running-back on a football team,
They burned a cross in his front yard
For asking out the home-coming queen.

I thought about him today,
Everybody who's seen what he's seen,
From a woman on a bus
To a man with a dream.

He-e-ey...
Wake up Martin Luther.
Welcome to the future.
He-e-ey...
Glory glory hallelujah.
Welcome to the future.


Everytime I hear the song, I am deeply moved. Such simple lyrics, but they are so powerful AND they are sung by a caucasion country singer! Of course the country stations are playing this song like crazy this weekend since today is such a special day. I heard this song on Saturday - and because Martin Luther King, Jr. is fresh on my mind - I had tears streaming down my face by the end.

If you are off today, do not forget to take a moment to reflect on the reason why you are off today. What a brave man Martin Luther King, Jr. was. One of my personal sayings has always been that one person CAN make a difference. MLK is a hero and he is proof that people can have a dream and that dream CAN come true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Tina! Thanks for sharing the song...I probably would have never known otherwise. Cori

PS I've been missing your blog!