I was checking out my blog and I just noticed that I have a few new followers! Welcome and I am so glad you stopped by! :) We LOVE new friends here and we love comments even more so feel free to comment!!
Monday has NOT been a Funday for me today. I have the case of the Mondays. Not wanting to be here especially after the weekend we had. Landon came down with the stomach bug AGAIN! Not fun times indeed! He was still his adorable self, just so pitiful at times. It was a vicious virus, but it left us as quickly as it came so we got really lucky. I just feel like I didn't get much of a weekend. It is also amazing how quickly your plans change when your little one gets sick. I had planned to audition for LTYM and was pumped about that, but decided on Saturday morning that Landon needed me more than I needed to audition. There is always next year...at least that is what my fellow mommy bloggers tell me. ;) I will make sure to try again next year. I also missed out on a close friend's baby shower. I hear it went off very well and that my favors, chicken salad, and my mother-in-law's quilt were favorites!!! I am glad she had a special day.
I am quite fired up about Anderson Cooper's episode that is scheduled to air tomorrow.They are going to be talking about moms who take mood stabilizers to help deal with the stress of being a parent. They pose the question - Do you think taking anti-anxiety medication makes for better parenting?
Should new parents rely on medication to make them a better parent?
Oh my gosh! Taking medications as a TREND? Really Anderson? I must say that I am appalled by the ignorance - especially of those that have commented on facebook and twitter. It is amazing. Some people have even gone as far as to say that people with mental illness shouldn't have children.
I am extremely offended. It is so disheartening to see the stigma associated with mental illness alive and well. I wish Anderson Cooper would use his popularity and the position he holds in the public eye to help fight the stigma instead of adding to it for the purpose of gaining attention. And at whose expense?
I know that I am in a minority. My mental illness did not show up until after I had my baby. But still. To even propose that taking medication is anything except having to for survival and quality of life is preposterous. I would not BE HERE if it weren't for medication (and if it weren't for my husband and son of course - but that goes without saying). I have to take medication to be healthy. You wouldn't question a mother taking insulin for diabetes or medication for a heart condition. This - mental illness - isn't anything different.
And there...you have how my Monday has been. A rollercoaster! But I am glad that my workday is almost over and here is to a good week! Thanks for listening!!! :)
1 comment:
I take a cocktail of medications. They don't make me a better person. They treat my underlying problem so that I can function like a normal human being. Now my struggles? Those make me better and stronger because I made it...and it makes me appreciate the beauty that life has to offer.
I was a good mom before medication. The medication just helped to pull my heart and mind from the dark.
Anderson Cooper is a douche. He's aired other topics like this and in a bad light.
Post a Comment