Thursday, April 2, 2009

No Other

I remember watching some of my favorite sitcoms and wishing I would have a marriage like the characaters on the show. Claire and Clif on the Cosby Show are a couple that come to mind quickly because of way they were affectionate with each other. Tim and Jill on Home Improvement also come to mind because of how funny they were and the situations Tim would get into.

The other day Jason and I were having a normal day, just finished dinner, doing dishes, sitting down to watch one of the many reality TV shows we can't seem to get enough of (sad - I know - but true) and I remember thinking, I am just so happy right where I am. Television is great for a release and an escape for 30 mintues or even some shows are an hour, but I no longer have that secret wish. I would not change a thing. I am so glad that I have realized this! Although, I hope that I still feel this way 10, 20, 30, and so years from now!

I often think about how Jason and I ended up together. It is completely His will that it happened. That sounds goofy, I know. But let me explain. I was just newly out of a complete wreck of a rebound relationship that left me pretty broken and quite frankly, completely disgusted with the opposite sex. I pretty much has sworn off dating for a LONG time as I had put it to my family. My Aunt, God love her, kept telling me that Jason was available and SUCH a nice guy. I just told her "No thanks for now." SO...for some reason Jason was at the Orris on a Saturday night in November (2003) and my entire family was there to listen to my cousin Brian's band. My fam wanted me to go and talk to Jason, but I didn't feel up to it and before too long Jason came over with support (his friend Andy) and we had our first conversation. We talked about what we did for a living and such. I remember he was crowding my space and I was quite overwhelmed and just wanted the exchange to be over - even though he was really nice. Later on when I was in total dance mode with my fam, he came up and started fast dancing with me (which if you know Jason - is totally out of character - although I think he might have been tipping back a little that night). If I thought he was in my space before - HOLY COW - was he ever in my space then and I was absolutely sober (since I was responsible for my sisters). I was nice about it, but I physically put some space between us. I remember he said "What did that last boyfriend do to you?" And I just replied with a smile and ended up sneaking out at the end of the night so I wouldn't have to face him again.

I had heard that Jason hunted down my phone number from his friend Wade. It took him about 3 weeks to call me. We talked a few times and then he asked me to go to a New Year's Party. I was so relieved to have an excuse (my cousin's wedding in NC was January 3rd and we were leaving the morning of the 1st to head that way) so I had to decline. I believe he asked me out the following week or so and I eventually left a voicemail message saying that I just needed some time. I could not date right now. He never called back again.

In the meantime though between January and March of 2004, I saw Jason several times at Church and I also waited on him at the Fish Fry. Toward the end of March, my Mom and I decided to go to Church together. Jason was sitting about 3 pews up from my mom and I that day. I was thinking about Jason a lot during Mass (which is great - right - I was really getting something out of the homily that Sunday). During the "sign of peace," Jason turned around and gave our friend's son, Drew, the sign of peace. He was so adorable about it and that made me stop and really think that I had made a mistake. I wispered to my Mom "He really is a nice guy, isn't he? Maybe I should give him a chance." She agreed and encouraged me to approach him after Mass. I was so nervous, I was convinced that he would either have a girlfriend by now or just not want to try after he had put forth such an effort before, but I did anyway. He was walking out with one of his elderly friends, I tapped him on the shoulder, and asked if he would like to go to dinner this week. I cannot remember his exact reply, I think it was something like "sure" or "maybe" and I told him to give me a call. Later on, I found out from Drew's Dad that Jason drove over to their house after that exchange and was really excited about our date. How cute is that? I did not think he would actually call. He made me wait on him for 3 days before he called to set up our first date, and the rest is history!

Today marks the 5 year anniversary of that first date (and Murphy's birthday, too). I love thinking about our story because it really shows that God planned for us to be together. I mean, how can you deny that when we set up our first date at His house?

Jason is the one alright. There is no other.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

awww, thanks for sharing your "get together" story. Enjoy your anniversary!