Thursday, April 30, 2009

Religion - Dare I?

Am I really going to tackle this subject in my blog? Didn't my mother tell me to NEVER discuss politics, religion, or sex with friends? Yes, I do recall my mom giving me said advice a time or two. I am totally NOT going to preach peeps. I just want to have an intelligent conversation about the topic of religion. I think you will find what I have to say interesting. Just random thoughts about a very LARGE topic.

I have been reading a book titled, "Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith." I choose this book at a book exchange hosted by my workplace simply because it was deemed a National Bestseller. That National Bestseller title always sells me. The front cover of this book states "On July 24th, 1984, a woman and her infant daughter were murdered by two brothers who believed they were ordered to kill by God. The roots of their crime lie deep in the history of an American religion practiced by millions..." The religion that author Jon Krakauer is referring to is the Mormon Fundamentalism Religion. Please do not confuse Mormon Fundamentalism with The Church of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormon). They are not one in the same. There are significant differences in belief. The most significant difference being that Fundamentalist Mormonism practices plural marriage, or polygamy, and the Church of Latter Day Saints does not believe in the practice of plural marriage.

To be quite honest with you, I have had a very difficult time getting through this book. For starters, it has been a slow read. Secondly, The Church of Latter Day Saints is so different from my my own religion, Catholicism, and Fundamentalist Mormonism is even more different. As I progress through this book, I find myself thinking that these beliefs and how this religion developed are so "out there", but I have to step back and also try to be in the shoes of a Mormon or Mormon Fundamentalist. People of that faith could think the exact same thing about Catholicism!

I find other religions other than my own to be very interesting. I have been to Lutheran services, Nondenominational Services, and most recently a Baptist Service. Although attending other services puts me in a situation that is very much out of my comfort zone, I always walk away from it and think that it was a positive experience and I am glad I went. Recently, when I went with my Aunt Terry to her service on Sunday, I asked her "Are they going to do claps?" Meaning, are they going to sing and clap and shout out? If you have ever been to a Catholic Mass, you know why I would ask this question!! I was not able to join in and celebrate my love of God in that way, and probably never will be able to - considering that I am a "Cradle Catholic" and all. I did thoroughly enjoy watching others worship in such a way and I really admire that they are able to do that so freely.

I personally do not believe in there being one church. Even though I recite the "Apostles Creed" in Mass on Sunday, I do not believe that the Catholic Church is the only church and I do not believe that God thinks that the Catholic Church is the only church. I believe that as long as you are a good person, believe in God or a higher power, and live the best way that you can - you will be saved on your judgment day. The day I went to church with my Aunt Terry, I ran into my older cousin's wife on the way in, and she said "Oh, you go to our church!" and I simply replied, "No. It doesn't matter what church you go to as long as you show up." Ha! :) I must admit that I stole that line from the movie Steel Magnolias.

All kidding aside, I truly do not believe that it matters what faith you choose or how many Sundays you have missed church, or if you accidentally eat meat on a Friday during Lent. Do you really think that when God greets you at the Pearly Gates, he is going to deny you an entrance into heaven because you missed 50 Sunday Services or ate meat 10 times during Lenten Seasons? Really? I do not.

It is just something to think about over a cup of coffee in the morning. Speaking of coffee, mine is getting cold. Have a great Thursday and be inspired!

1 comment:

TB said...

I like what you have to say Tina! :) Thanks for inspiring me!