Friday, April 10, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane

I used to be a waitress at Lam's Garden (a local Chinese Restaurant) that is owned by some very dear friends of mine. Lam's was my full-time employment during my senior year of high school throughout my Jefferson College years. Mr. Lam & Linda were so good to me and I am forever in debt to them.

When Mr. Lam passed away several years ago, Linda decided to turn over management to someone else. It was just too much for her to do by herself at the time and I think she needed a much deserved break from it all. Running that restaurant is all consuming and just INCREDIBLY hard work (to say the least). As a result, the restaurant went downhill. She recently decided that she wanted to reopen. I was both excited and scared for her! She is a truly remarkable woman and she is incredibly inspiring to me.

Yesterday was the "soft" opening of the restaurant. I can safely say that there was no "soft" seen in this opening! I tried calling at 11am to see if they in fact did open, and I did not get an answer so I assumed that they did not open. When I got off from work at 4:30pm, I decided to try calling one more time just to see (I have NO IDEA what drove me to do this - God? - Mr. Lam? - Both?). Sure enough, Woei's uncle answered. He said they were open, but they were SLAMMED, and if I were to come in to eat, I would have to wait fairly long to be seated and to get my food. How exciting! Linda was open for business! I was immediately also sad because I was going to have to walk in and Mr. Lam wouldn't be there to greet me. It isn't the same without him and I was afraid I was going to just start crying as soon as I walked through the door.

Well, all of the flower shops in town close at 5pm. Awesome. I stopped by Schnucks to pick up a spring flower arrangement for Linda and I was also talking to my Dad on the phone - kidding around that I was afraid I was going to walk in and have to start working. Guess what happened? Oh yes - it was a MAD HOUSE. Every parking space - taken. Every table - taken. All of the new workers - overwhelmed. Do you watch Hell's Kitchen? It was absolutely a real life episode of that show. WOW!

I was greeted by my ex-boyfriend's parents. I am so blessed to still be closely connected to them and to still be friends with Chris. There is just too much history (we have known each other FOREVER) and we are DEFINETLY better friends to each other than anything else, and my husband thinks he is great!

I digress.

Chris' parents were so glad to see me and we had a brief "conference" in a booth and decided we had to find a way to help out. I was told that tables had been waiting as long as 45 minutes or more for food! I approached Woei's Aunt Pearl who used to work with me "back in the day" and was immediately put back to work! Luckily I was so busy, I didn't have time to shed any tears!

Luckily, all of Lam's loyal customers were there so no one was angry and everyone was understanding. I only had a few mishaps (someone received food for free because I did not understand how the credit card machine worked at first) and I accidentally dialed 911 at some point. GOOD GRIEF. I was trying to call my husband to tell him that I have a second job (insert smiley face) and at work I have to dial a 9 before I can make a call out. So...I dialed 911 and then hung up because - HELLO - I had a credit card sale to run through! They called back, Woei's uncle took the call, and we cleared it up. No worries. His Uncle John did tell the responders that we could use a few extra hands and waiters if they wanted to send someone down to the restaurant! I was NEVER so glad to see Woei walk through the door. Woei, Chris, and his girlfriend Liz came in to eat and once Woei saw me behind the cash register, I think he knew that things were a little hectic. He immediately went to work and was running around just like his Dad used to. Chris mainly sat in a booth and ate mistakes the cooks had recently made. It was just like old times!

It was very VERY stressful, but it is so good to be back in a place that I have so many wonderful memories. I remember waiting tables with my friend David. We had SO much fun! I remember coming to the restaurant after a football game with all of my friends and Mr. Lam, Linda, and Pearl bringing out plateful after plateful of delicious Chinese food on the house and we would all eat family style. I remember joking around with Mr. Lam and him telling me that Woei was #1 and I was #2. :) I just love that place, but most of all I love the people connected to it. Luckily, my husband understands my feelings for the Lam family and realizes that I may be less available in the upcoming weeks as they get back into a routine and get used to the restaurant life once again. I was just joking with him this morning because he may get laid off - that if that happens - he could pick up some shifts at Woei's restaurant! Could you imagine? So funny!

I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for my beautiful family & friends. This ABSOLUTELY includes Mr. Lam, Linda, Pearl, Woei, and Nicole. They are more than friends and are like family to me. It is just a joy and my pleasure to be able to give back to people who have given me so much.

After all, "for everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." Luke 12:48

No comments: