Friday, June 19, 2009

Answering Machine

Jason had a message waiting for him yesterday on our answering machine. Would it be his mother asking a question or my mother just checking in to see how we are doing? Those are the two people who leave messages the most. Not yesterday. The message was from Bridget - the daughter of Jason's dear friend Bill. She stated that her Dad was not doing well and to give her a call. When Jason relayed this to me a few minutes after he received the message, my heart sank. I knew this was "the call." I arrived home and started making dinner and Jason went into our room to call Bridget back. I heard seriousness coming from the bedroom, some laughter, and then Jason searching for paper to jot down pertinent information. He hung up the phone and came into the kitchen with a telling expression on his face; "Bill has been given two weeks to live. He is in good spirits. He requested for three people to be called and I was the second one. Bill doesn't want anyone to rush over to see him, but Bridget asked him if I wanted to come would that be o.k. and he said 'Sure, Jason can come if he wants to'."

It broke my heart.

Bill has been in Jason's life from the very beginning. He lived two houses down and somewhere along life's journey, they became very close. Bill calls Jason when he needs something fixed, they used to go to breakfast or dinner together often, and Cardinals games (Bill used to have great season tickets). Back in February of this year, we were invited to Bill's house. He was having a very nice dinner (prepared by two of his daughters) and Jason and I were invited, Jason's parents, and three other couples. It was a lovely evening. It was one of those moments when you know what you are experiencing is once in a lifetime and very special. I had a strong feeling that this dinner was for people who were very special to Bill and it was not going to happen ever again. I asked Jason after that dinner what he thought about it. I expressed my strong feeling that Bill didn't have much time and that it was an extraordinary evening. My sweet husband didn't say much in response. I think he knew, too.

Bill goes to the same mass Jason and I do - the 7am SUPER EARLY service. When Bill was doing well, he would always sit in the pew behind us. For quite awhile now, Bill has had to sit toward the front of church because he cannot walk up for communion anymore. About a month or so ago, I was in church and I had already been up to communion. I noticed that Bill's son stood up and went to one of the Eucharistic Ministers and whispered to her to please come and give his Dad a sip of wine (the Blood of Christ) after she was through with serving the rest of the congregation. When the last person walked past her, she moved toward Bill. As she approached him, I could see the sadness on her face as Bill struggled to his feet. He was so shaky. I fought back tears, letting a few slip down my face. It was so sad and difficult to see with my own eyes the extremely frail state of our dear friend.

Last night after Jason made many phone calls, we walked Murphy together, mostly in silence. We made a few jokes, Jason got upset with Murphy and I because I allow him to pee in our neighbors' yards and he thinks that is Hoosierish, and we came back to the house. I started tearing apart photo albums looking for this picture -



I purchased a really pretty photo frame two weeks ago. I knew I wanted to buy it, but I didn't know what photo I would place in the frame. I finally found the picture in a box in my closet. I placed the photo of Jason and Bill (from when he came to our house for dinner last year) in the frame and went into the living room to show my husband. He smiled and said it was a good picture. I asked him if he would like for me to set it out somewhere. He said yes.

I have a few prayer requests of you my friends. Please pray for my sweet husband as he carries this heavy cross. Jason will be stopping by the hospital tonight and we plan to also go tomorrow evening. These will not be easy visits. Also, please pray for Bill to be as comfortable as possible and for strength and comfort for his family during these last precious days.

Thank you friends -

Tina

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Tina, What a difficult time! My prayers are with all of Bill's friends and family. I hope that these last visits with Bill will be future fond memories just like the ones you just shared.

TB said...

Tina and Jason,
we love you so much and know what you are going through! I have been there myself these past few weeks. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.
love,
T, J, J and L

Marie K. said...

Hi Tina,

I know that this is a hard time for both you and Jason and I will be praying not only for the two of you but your friend also. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Love you Mom